Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Teddi's Turkey Bacon Cobb Salad

I chose turkey bacon for our next ingredient because I think it's a breakfast staple that can easily be translated into lunch or dinner. I've been eating it a lot lately because it's incredibly easy to cook and a bit more figure friendly than its piggy companion. Turkey bacon has become a staple in my house (errr... apartment). It's fairly low-calorie, filling, and tasty. I love it with eggs in the morning, and it makes a great addition to this spinach salad, too!




This isn't a recipe so much as an idea, but here's what I think you need:

- A few handfuls of baby spinach. Most any lettuce would work, I suppose, but baby spinach is ideal for an entree salad because the leaves are meaty and it really helps fill you up.
- 2 slices of turkey bacon. I usually use Oscar Meyer, but I'm just bought a pack of Applegate Farms to try out - I love their products. In the interest of time, I microwaved mine. Usually I like my TB a little chewy, but for this salad, get it nice and crispy.
- A hard boiled egg. Maybe two, if you're a little extra hungry.
- A small handful of shredded cheese. I think the standard Cobb is served with bleu, but I used part skim mozzarella.
- A handful of sliced mushrooms. I grilled mine in a bit of truffle oil first, which always seals the deal for me. If you're pressed for time, uncooked white mushrooms work just fine.
- A small handful of fruit. I used diced apples. I like to throw in some golden raisins, too.
- 2 tablespoons of dressing. I used Ken's Honey Balsamic. I love it.

This salad is great for a few reasons. Obviously it's tasty, but I also find it very visually appeasing. Between the spinach, the egg, and the turkey bacon, this one really packs a protein punch. It's going to keep you full, while still leaving a bit of room for dessert. Always a must for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment